Harrisburg Academy was pleased to welcome exchange students from Guatemala for a seven-week cultural exchange program through Faces & Our Cultures. The students arrived mid-October to join our community, our classes, and our homes through early December. Leslie resided with the Nazar family.
Well, first of all, I love my family. They are so special to me — they are crazy and fun, and that made them special. They have changed my life a lot. I love my sisters Charlotte and Amelia so much. They are so happy and they have a light inside them. They are so funny. I love being in the car with them because we always sing.
During my stay, we traveled to:
- New York City to the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island. I liked it there, and I took many pictures with my sisters in the Statue of Liberty.
- Hersheypark and Hershey’s Chocolate World was very fun and awesome! I love that place — it was very cool and I like all of the games.
- Bowling: I won the first round with 116, and then I lost the other two rounds. The family is very competitive but I like that because I’m like that, too.
- Philadelphia to the Liberty Bell, Independence Hall, and to museums and many more things.
- Atlantic City to the beach for a photo shoot with my sisters.
- Gettysburg Civil War sites and a ghost tour. On that day I tried my first candy corn!
- Football games at PITT! They won both times.
I like the places that I went my host mother, Lisa — she wanted to make a list of places that I wanted to go. My host dad, Scott, makes good food for dinner, and he is a good father. I went to their grandmother’s house, and we cooked and baked — three milk cake, Halushki, chicken, pies and cookies, turkey, and mashed potatoes for Thanksgiving.
There were many things that I wanted to do on this exchange and most of them came true. I’m so proud, happy, and grateful for my family. My sisters are the best sisters that I ever have had. “We are not sisters from blood but we are sisters from heart.” I couldn’t replace them.
Learn more about Harrisburg Academy on our school website.